Musrat Zahan Surovy
Epidemiological studies on wheat blast (Magnaporthe oryzae pathotype Tritici, MoT) with special reference to potential biocontrol.
Wheat blast disease is caused by the ascomycete fungus Magnaporthe oryzae pathotype Tritici (MoT) and may limit wheat production upto 80-100%. The knowledge on the life cycle and major factors determining the epidemic spread of MoT is extremely poor. The overall aim of the proposed research project is to fill the knowledge gap on the epidemic life cycle of MoT with special reference to head infection and invasion into grains. Genomic and phytopathological characterization of MoT, the potential of host shifts and the role of alternative hosts as sources of inoculums and the putative role of bacterial endophytes to control the wheat blast disease will be studied. It is expected to elucidate the epidemic life cycle and ear infection process of MoT. Host specificity and host range of MoT will be identified and potential biocontrol of MoT will be represented.
Fig.1: Magnaporthe oryzae pathotype Tritici infected wheat ears in the field
Fig.2: Magnaporthe oryzae pathotype Tritici infected wheat leaves (left), conidia (middle) and conidia on conidiophores (right)
- German Academy Exchange Service (DAAD)
- Surovy MZ, Mahmud NU, Bhattacharjee P, et al. (2020) Modulation of nutritional and biochemical properties of wheat grains infected by blast fungus Magnaporthe oryzae Triticum pathotype. Frontiers in Microbiology. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2020.01174.
- Gupta DR, Surovy MZ, Mahmud NU, et al. (2020) Suitable methods for isolation, culture, storage and identification of wheat blast fungus Magnaporthe oryzae Triticum pathotype. Phytopathology Research. doi: 10.1186/s42483-020-00070-x.
- Mahmud NU, Chakraborty M, Paul SK, Gupta DR, Surovy MZ, Rahman M, Islam MT (2020) First report of basal rot of dragon fruit caused by Fusarium oxysporum in Bangladesh. Plant Disease. doi: 10.1094/pdis-01-20-0005-pdn.
- Dutta S, Khatun A, Gupta DR, Surovy MZ et al. (2020) Whole-genome sequence of a plant growth-promoting strain, Serratia marcescens BTL07, Isolated from the rhizoplane of Capsicum annuum L. Microbiology Resource Announcements. doi: 10.1128/mra.01484-19.
- lslam T, Gupta DR, Surovy MZ, et al. (2019) Identification and application of a fungal biocontrol agent Cladosporium cladosporioides against Bemisia tabaci. Biotechnology & Biotechnological Equipment 33:1698–1705. doi: 10.1080/13102818.2019.1695541.
- Surovy MZ, Gupta DR, Mahmud NU, et al. (2019) Genomics and post-genomics approaches for elucidating molecular mechanisms of plant growth-promoting Bacilli. Bacilli in Climate Resilient Agriculture and Bioprospecting Bacilli and Agrobiotechnology: Phytostimulation and Biocontrol 161–200. doi: 10.1007/978-3-030-15175-1_10.
- Mehebub MS, Mahmud NU, Rahman M, Surovy MZ, Gupta DR, Hasanuzzman M, Rahman M, Islam MT (2019). Chitosan biopolymer improves fruit quality of litchi (Litchi chinensis Sonn.). Acta Agrobotanica. 72(2):1773. Doi: 10.5586/aa.1773.
- Zohara F, Surovy MZ, Khatun A, Prince MFRK, Akanda MAM, Rahman M, Islam MT (2019). Chitosan biostimulant controls infection of cucumber by Phytophthora capsici through suppression of asexual reproduction of the pathogen. Acta Agrobotanica. 72(1):1763. Doi.: 10.5586/aa.1763.
- Surovy MZ, Kabir Mk, Gupta DR, Hassan O, Mahmud NU, Sabir AA, Rahman M, Chang T, Panaccione D, Islam MT (2018). First report of Fusarium wilt caused by Fusarium oxysporum on strawberry in Bangladesh. Plant Disease. Doi:10.1094/PDIS-07-18-1121-PDN
- Gupta DR, Kabir MK, Hassan O, Sabir AA, Mahmud NU, Surovy MZ, Rahman M, Chang T, Panaccione D, Islam MT (2018). First report of anthracnose crown rot of strawberry caused by Colletotrichum siamense in Rajshahi district of Bangladesh. Plant Disease. Doi:10.1094/PDIS-08-18-1461-PDN
- Gupta DR, Avila CSR, Win J, Ryder DMSLS, Croll D, Bhattacharjee P, Hossain MS, Mahmud NU, Mehbub MS, Surovy MZ, Rahman MM, Talbot NJ, Kamoun S, Islam MT (2018). Cautionary notes on use of the MoT3 diagnostic assay for Magnaporthe oryzae wheat and rice blast isolates. Phytopathology. Doi.: 10.1094/PHYTO-06-18-0199-LE
- Mukta JA, Rahman M, Sabir AA, Gupta DR, Surovy MZ, Rahman M, Islam MT (2017). Chitosan and plant probiotics application enhance growth and yield of strawberry. Biocatalysis and Agricultural Biotechnology. 11: 9-18. Doi:10.1016/j.bcab.2017.05.005
- Surovy MZ, Gupta DR, Rahman MM, Akanda MAM, Islam MT (2017). Isolation and characterization of phosphate solubilizing bacteria from traditional rice cultivar of Bangladesh and their effects on rice. Annals of Bangladesh Agriculture. 21(1-2): 27-37.
- Islam MT, Croll D, Gladieux P, Soanes DM, Persoons A, Bhattacharjee P, Hossain S, Gupta DR, Rahman MM, Mahboob MG, Cook N, Salam MU, Surovy MZ, Sancho VB, Maciel JLN, Junior AN, Castroagudin VL, Reges JTS, Ceresini PC, Ravel S, Kellner R, Fournier E, Tharreau D, Lebrun MH, McDonald BA, Stitt T, Swan D, Talbot NJ, Saunders DGO, Win J, Kamoun S (2016). Emergence of wheat blast in Bangladesh was caused by a South American lineage of Magnaporthe oryzae. BMC Biology.14:84. Doi.: 10.1186/s12915-016-0309-7.
- Mondal MAM, Surovy MZ, Islam MT, Schuffler A, Laatsch H (2015). Macrocyclic trichothecens from Myrothecium roridum strain M10 with motility inhibitory and zoosporicidal activities against Phytophthora nicotianae. Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 63: 8777-8786. Doi.: 10.1021/acs.jafc.5b02366
- Tareq FS, Hasan CM, Lee HS, Lee YJ, Lee JS, Surovy MZ, Islam MT, Shin HJ (2015). Gageopeptins A and B, new inhibitors of zoospore motility of the phytopathogen Phytophthora capsici from a marine-derived bacterium Bacillus sp.109GGC020. Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters. 25: 3325-3329. Doi.: 10.1016/j.bmcl.2015.05.070
- Born October 1990 in Gazipur, Bangladesh
- 2008-2011 BS Agriculture, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University, Bangladesh
- 2012-2014 MS Biotechnology, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University, Bangladesh
- 2016 - 2019 Faculty member at Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University, Bangladesh
- Since 2019 PhD student at the Division of Plant Pathology and Crop Protection of the Georg-August-University of Göttingen, Germany