The Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research was founded in 1964 by the German Ibero-America Foundation in Hamburg in agreement with the Faculty of Economics at the University of Göttingen. The Ministry of Education and Cultural Affairs of Lower Saxony expressly welcomed the establishment of the Ibero-America Institute. The initial equipment and running costs for the first 5 years were covered by the Volkswagen Foundation; since 1969, the running costs have been covered by the University of Göttingen.
Aims of the Institute at the time of its foundation: The Ibero-America Institute is to conduct economic research on Ibero-American development problems in close cooperation with economists and economic policy institutions in Ibero-America, if necessary by research teams with representatives from other disciplines; furthermore, a training program for Ibero-American specialists was planned. This task was to be carried out in the following manner:
- Promotion of Ibero-American studies with local scientists at the Göttingen Institute
- Foreign guests had the opportunity to learn about the economic development of Europe and Germany
- Göttingen students were familiarized with the economic and social problems of Latin America
- Running Ibero-American studies
- Establishment of a library with Ibero-American literature: start-up financing was provided by the Volkswagen Foundation from 1964-1969
- Lectures and lecture series, seminars and exercises dealing with Ibero-American problems
The library of the Ibero-America Institute was integrated into the Economics and Social Sciences Library (WiSo-Bibliothek) of the University of Göttingen in 2004.
- Currently, the Institute's library contains approximately 50,000 volumes dealing with economic and social issues concerning Latin America and the Iberian Peninsula. The Institute's library is stocked with about 400 German and foreign magazines, series and newspapers. Of these, about 30 magazines come from various UN organizations, the IMF, the World Bank, the OECD and the EU.
- http://www4.sub.uni-goettingen.de → ‘individual catalogues of the local Göttingen library system’ →’Bibliotheken der wirtschafts- und sozialwissenschaftlichen Fakultäten’ → ‘Ibero-Amerika Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung’
Head of the Ibero-America Institute/Directors of the Ibero-America Institute:
- 1964-1969: Prof. Dr. Erich Egner (Founding Director)
- 1969-1990: Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Helmut Hesse
- 1988-1992: Dr. Rolf Schinke (Provisional management of the institute)
- 1992-2003: Prof. Dr. Hermann Sautter
- 2003-2020: Prof. Dr. h.c. Stephan Klasen, Ph.D.
- Seit 2020: Prof. Dr. Andreas Fuchs