Master of Science (MSc) in Finance, Accounting, and Taxes
- The master's programme in finance, accounting, and taxes is accredited by ZEvA Hannover (Central Evaluation and Accreditation Agency).
- Programme duration: 4 semesters
- Language: German
- Beginning of programme: each semester (winter and summer)
Please note that there are new admission regulations for the master's programme. Details can be found under "Application and admission" (on the right-hand column of this page).
- The application period to begin studying in the winter semester is from April 1 to May 15 of the same calendar year
- The application period to begin studies in the summer semester is from October 1 to November 15 of the previous calendar year
You may submit your application for the master's programme even if you have not completed your current programme of study, but have acquired at least 150 credit points in a related bachelor's programme. The online application form and detailed information on the application and admission procedure can be found under Application and Admission. This deadline also applies to international applicants who are also required to complete the online application form.
The master's programme in finance, accounting, and taxes is designed for students seeking to enhance their education in each of these fields as well as to understand the dynamics between these fields. This programme provides students with a deep and wide-ranging knowledge of modern theories and advanced methods pertaining to finance, accounting, and taxes. The aim is to prepare students with the ability to anticipate and analyze the process of corporate decision-making. Students are additionally introduced to the latest scientific developments and are given the opportunity to personalize their studies by specializing in their field of interest. The purpose of specialization is to broaden students' academic knowledge in areas such as quantitative, legal, and monetary issues.
The master's programme in finance, accounting, and taxes is a two-year programme (4 semesters) that requires 120 credits. Three semesters are reserved for lectures, seminars, and tutorials (90 credits). The fourth semester is designated for the master's thesis (30 credits). The master's thesis should be completed within 20 weeks and should be presented in a research colloquium.
During the three semesters of coursework, students are expected to complete the following:
- Four mandatory courses aimed to provide students with a strong foundation in the principles and practices of finance, accounting, and taxes (24 credits)
- Electives in finance, accounting and taxes for specializing in selected fields of interest (30 credits)
- A seminar equipping students with interdisciplinary theoretical and methodical expertise to form a sound basis for corporate decision-making (6 credits)
- Methods (6 credits)
- Electives (24 credits)
- Master's thesis (30 credits)
Double Degree Programme
In order to apply the acquired knowledge in practice, to gain first work experience or to get to know possible relevant professional fields - the Faculty of Business and Economics welcomes students to gain practical experience during their studies. Therefore, you have the possibility to have a voluntary internship in the elective area of your studies credited under certain conditions. You can find detailed information here
Job portal of the University of Göttingen with external job offers: Stellenwerk Göttingen
Starting in the 2016/17 winter semester, the University of Göttingen Faculty of Business and Economics offers a double degree programme with the Ghent University Faculty for Economics and Business Administration (in Belgium). Within four semesters, well-qualified students can complete both a MSc degree in finance, accounting, and taxes at the University of Göttingen, as well as a parallel MSc degree in business economics (with a focus on corporate finance or accounting) at Ghent University: More Information
Traditionally, the skill sets acquired by the master's programme in finance, accounting, and taxes are among those most frequently desired by business graduates. Moreover, they offer excellent career opportunities for graduates who seek challenging and rewarding careers in consulting and auditing companies, financial institutions, strategy, and policy units of large corporations, management bodies of small and mid-size entities, and government and organizations. In addition, entrepreneurial candidates may have the necessary knowledge base to start a business.