First steps as an admitted international student

Faculty of Humanities

Receiving admission letter
In case your application was successful, you receive an admission letter. Please keep it safe because you will need it for the visa application and your enrollment later on.

Applying for Visa
If you need a visa or not depends on the length of your stay or your nationality. Here you can find specific information on visa and entry for international students. For your visa application, you need proof of the health insurance that covers your first weeks in Göttingen. For these purposes, you have to obtain a short-term travel health insurance in your home country. Regarding health insurance in Germany, see more information below. Moreover, you need proof of financial resources. More information here.
Please check about the required documents directly with your embassy.

Important: Please make an appointment with the responsible German embassy in your home country immediately after receiving the admission letter because issuing the visa might take several weeks or months!

Financing plan
Next to the semester fee (see below), currently, you need around 700 € per month to cover the cost of living in Göttingen. Additionally, you should plan approximately 1000 € for initial costs in the first weeks in Göttingen (for example, deposit, bicycle, and other extra costs).

Your admission does not automatically include a room, which means that you have to search for a room yourself. Please start searching from home as soon as possible. The following links provide supporting information.
Accomodation Service
Online-Application for a room
Temporary accomodation

Health insurance
In Germany health insurance is mandatory and you should obtain it as soon as possible - at the very latest after your arrival to Germany. You will need proof of the health insurance for your enrollment at the University of Göttingen. Check here for the types of insurance and insurance companies in Germany.

Semester fees
In Lower Saxony there are no tuition fees, however, you have to pay semester fees before enrollment at the university. Here you can find information on semester fees as well as the payment methods. You have to submit proof of the payment upon enrollment – please note the deadlines stated on your admission letter.

Admitted students can then enroll at the university and upload all the required documents. Please follow the your coordinator from Göttingen international.

Pick up student identity card
After enrollment, you can pick up your Student Identity Card (Chipcard) at the issuing point in Central Lecture Hall (ZHG).

Introduction Days and student support
We highly recommend you participate in the Introduction Week for international students/ for exchange students at Göttingen International as well as in the Orientation Days (so-called ‘O-Phase’) at the Faculty of Humanities because these events will significantly facilitate your first steps.

Furthermore, the student Mentoring-Program as well as the Exchange Buddy Service offers the possibility of getting support from students from higher semesters for many questions around your studies that can help you to master the first orientation hurdles.

Register at Residents’ Registration Office
If you are going to stay in Germany for more than three months, you are obliged to register at the Residents’ Registration Office (so-called ‘Einwohnermeldeamt’) within two weeks after your arrival. In order to register, you need your identity card/passport and the apartment confirmation called “Wohnungsgeberbestätigung” signed by your landlord – either you get this form automatically or you can download it on the web of the Residents’ Registration Office. Please keep safe the confirmation of registration that you get from the Office. If you change your housing or leave, you have to re-register or de-register respectively.

Open bank account
You will need a German bank account in order to transfer money, for example, for your rent. Make an appointment at any German bank of your choice.

Search and register for courses
You can find the course offer in UniVZ. Please consider the module catalogue and the example study plan of your subject. Here you can find more information and instructions for the creation of your study plan. Here you can find information on schedule creation for exchange students.

The official registration for the chosen courses is via the online platform StudIP.

Application for residence permit
If you come with a visa, you have to apply for a temporary residence permit at the Foreigners' Registration Office (so-called ‘Ausländerbehörde’) within the first three months after your entry. Therefore you have to make an appointment. Do not forget to always extend your temporary residence permit BEFORE it expires!