Exchange Studies: Erasmus+ Programme Countries (KA 131)

After the application at your home university and your nomination for the exchange program, further steps follow, such as the registration at the University of Göttingen. Please use our instructions for this "Procedure in 8 steps – Erasmus + ".

Registration deadlines: 01. December (for the summer semester), 01. June (for the winter semester)

Some faculties, such as the Faculty of Medicine, require a language certificate. Please check our list of language certificates or inquire with the respective Erasmus+ Key Action 131 Departmental Coordinator.

Students from EU and EEA countries (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway) do not need a visa to enter Germany. A valid identity card or passport is sufficient.

Students from the Erasmus+ programme countries North Macedonia, Serbia, Turkey, and Erasmus+ partner countries usually need a visa for entry.

If you are studying at a European university but are a national of a country outside the EU and EEA, we are obliged to register you with the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF). Therefore, we need the following documents at least 6 weeks before your arrival in Göttingen:

  • Residence title of the EU country in which you are studying. The residence title must be issued for study purposes
  • Passport or ID
  • Proof of financial means showing that you have at least €853 per month to support yourself (e.g. copy of bank statement, scholarship, or letter from parents)
  • Proof of insurance: If you do not have a "blue European health insurance card" (EHIC), you must take out statutory health insurance here in Germany. We do not accept private health insurances because some treatments are not covered by them.
  • Home address and your address in Göttingen, if you already have one
  • Complete address of your home university.

Send the documents as a PDF to Allow enough time, as processing can take several weeks.

Health insurance

In Germany, health insurance is mandatory for all students. You cannot be enrolled without valid proof of health insurance. EU citizens usually have the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Clarify in advance what is covered by it.

If you do not have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), you must sign a contract with a German statutory health insurance company. We do not accept private insurances because some treatments are not covered by them. For further information, please contact Ms. Seack.

For students from Turkey and Switzerland there exists an agreement, so you do not have to take out statutory health insurance. Contact Ms. Seack in this case.

Liability and accident insurance

You are visiting a friend and accidentally trip. You fall against the table and his tablet breaks – just one example of unintentionally causing damage or accidents. A large part of the German population has private liability insurance for this. Although this insurance is not compulsory, we recommend it, as personal injury and/or property damage are covered by it. You are not covered by liability insurance through the University of Göttingen. Please ensure that you have sufficient liability insurance coverage yourself. Private liability insurance costs between 6 and 10 euros per month.

Accident insurance does not come into effect until the beginning of the semester. Please ensure sufficient accident protection for yourself if you arrive before the start of the semester.

The University of Göttingen will not pay you a stipend. Inquire at your home university about options for financial support.

Further information on travelling to, arriving in and living in Göttingen. This information is generally intended for international students who are pursuing a degree programme in Göttingen; however, it may also contain helpful information for exchange students.


Christiane Seack
Von-Siebold-Straße 2
37075 Göttingen

Phone: +49 551 39-21348
Fax: +49 551 39-21349 and 1821348

Opening Hours: Mo, Wed, Thu, Fri 10 - 12:30 am
Map (UniTour)
EN-Funded by the EU-LOGO