You already have a bachelor's degree in philosophy and would like to follow it up with a master's degree?
Within the framework of the master's program in philosophy, you can expand and deepen your previous knowledge of the subject. In the courses offered, you will gain an overview of current discourses and practice arguing at an increasingly high scientific level. In addition, you will learn to develop your own research questions, to work on them independently, and to present your results to a professional audience.
- Master of Arts (M.A.)
- Language of the programme:
- Standard period of study:
- 4 semesters
- Start of studies:
- Summer and winter semester
- Restricted (application to the faculty)
Get to know us
The subject of philosophy deals with the foundations of our theoretical and practical reference to reality. The degree programme is designed to impart knowledge and methodological skills that enable students to independently interpret and discuss established philosophical concepts as well as to deal with philosophical problems at a current academic level. In the Master's programme, previously acquired knowledge and methodological skills are to be deepened and expanded with regard to the ability to conduct independent research. Graduates of the Master's programme in Philosophy should be able to make independent contributions to discussions that meet academic requirements in terms of form and content.
Research and teaching focus at the Philosophy Department of the University of Göttingen are:
Philosophy of mind, phenomenology, philosophy and ethics of artificial intelligence, epistemology, philosophy of science, philosophy of technology, philosophy of language; theoretical and applied ethics, philosophical anthropology, philosophy of law; philosophy of antiquity, esp. Plato and Aristotle, history of philosophy in modern times; philosophy of education and philosophy didactics; analytic feminist philosophy.
The Master's degree programme prepares students for jobs that require subject-specific competence in philosophy, such as in specialised publishing houses, in the media sector, in librarianship as well as in private and public research institutions that deal with philosophical or interdisciplinary topics and problems in the natural or cultural sciences.
In addition to their subject-specific knowledge, graduates of philosophy are characterised by outstanding competence in the analysis of abstract discourse contexts as well as the assessment of the logical coherence and substantive scope of arguments. Due to these acquired methodical-analytical key competences, they are qualified for various fields of activity. Furthermore, the degree programme creates the scientific basis for further studies in doctoral programmes.
Related and consecutive programmes
This degree programme can be studied in 3 different profiles.
- Single Honours MA totalling 78 credits (mono-master).
- Joint Honours MA totalling 42 credits in combination with one module package (minor) totalling 36 credits
- Joint Honours MA totalling 42 credits in combination with two module packages (minors) totalling 18 credits each.
You can apply for one study profile.
- B.A. degree or comparable degree
- at least 150 ECTS at the time of application
Relevance to the subject:
At least 50 ECTS in philosophy
- Good knowledge of English, which enables you to read scientific texts, is essential!
- Note for international applicants: If your native language is not German, you must prove sufficient knowledge of the German language: Proof of German language skills