Masters of Science (MSc) in Sustainable International Agriculture

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

A summary of questions that SIA candidates may have during the application process, visa process, upon arrival to Germany and during their studies.

Students can also make use of the following websites to get more detailed information about studies in Witzehnhausen and in Gottingen. Just click on the keywords.

General Information
  • How long ist the semester?
  • What does it mean to have a joint degree from the University of Kassel in Witzenhausen and the University of Göttingen?

  • Application
  • What are the requirements to be accepted to the SIA Masters program?
  • What is the minimum language requirement to be accepted to the SIA Masters program?
  • When is the application deadline?
  • How many days do I have to wait after submitting my application to get a response about my application status?
  • If my application is rejected, how can I appeal?
  • How do I know which program specialization to choose?

  • German visa and insurance
  • Do I need a visa?
  • When should I start my visa application?
  • What are the requirements for a German student visa application?
  • For how long will I get a visa?
  • What should I do if my visa is rejected?
  • Would my study place be kept if I do not get a visa in time?
  • How do I apply for the German residence once I have arrived?
  • What travel insurance should I apply for to meet my visa requirements?
  • What insurance should I apply for as a student in Germany?

  • Cost of studies
  • What is the cost per year of studying in Germany?
  • Do you offer scholarships?

  • Living and accommodation
  • How much does living cost in Germany?
  • Should I live in Göttingen or Witzenhausen?
  • Where can I live in Göttingen?
  • Where can I live in Witzenhausen?
  • How can I move between Göttingen and Witzenhausen?
  • Should I live in student dorms or in a private apartment?
  • How much does the rent cost?
  • How do I get internet and phone connection at home?
  • What is living like in Germany?

  • When to arrive and things to organize after arriving
  • How and where do I enroll as student?
  • As a SIA student, should I register as student in Göttingen or Witzenhausen?
  • When should I arrive in Germany?
  • Can somebody pick me up from the train-station? Is there a welcome event?
  • Will I get a student ID from both University of Kassel and University of Göttingen?
  • Where do I get my student ID?
  • Why do I need the student ID?
  • What kind of students' organizations are there in Göttingen? How can I get in touch with other students?

  • Matriculation Fee
  • What does the semester fee cover?
  • How much should I pay for matriculation as a student every semester?
  • How do I pay the semester fee?
  • When should I pay my matriculation fee?

  • Important things during the studies
  • What is eCampus?
  • How do I register for examinations in FlexNow?
  • What is Moodle? How do I register?
  • How do I print in Göttingen?
  • Getting Access to computers (CIPool) in Witzenhausen?
  • Where can I travel with a semester ticket/student ID?
  • How should I proceed to take a leave of absence in case of an emergency at home?

  • Important things about the master thesis
  • What do I have to know about the master thesis?

  • End of studies and after the studies
  • When can I go home after the master thesis?
  • Where can I work if I graduate with Masters of Science in Sustainable International Agriculture?

  • International Student Guide, Goettigen University:

    Information for international students, University of Kassel in Witzenhausen:

    Information on SIA, University of Kassel in Witzenhausen: