Refugees as guest students
Guest student programme in winter term 2020/21
Due to the current situation, the start of the lectures in winter term has been postponed to 2nd of November.
Most lectures and courses have to be held online, only some will take place in university rooms.
As guest student you will need access to eCampus in order to participate in your lectures/courses.More...
Guest student programmeWhoever wishes to prepare for studying at a German university can enrol in our free guest student programme and attend selected courses. Students will accompany you during the semester. Transferable credits can be acquired in exceptional cases. In order to benefit from the offers, good knowledge of German (B2/C1) or English (B2/C1) is required.
You are a refugee and would like to study? As guest student you will learn...
- Language: You will come into contact with German as a scientific language. You will learn subject-related scientific terminology not taught in language courses.
- Content: You will attend real lectures and courses and learn more about the contents of study programmes.
- Organisation: Studying in Germany requires a lot of organisational self-management. As guest student you can prepare for a study programme.
- Time saving: You will familiarise yourself with the study system at a German university. This will save you time in your future studies.
As guest student you can...
- Attend lectures: Together, we will pick out lectures that suit your interests. In winter semester 2020/21, lectures will either take place in university rooms or online.
- Have a student buddy: A student will support your orientation process at the university and help you with questions about everyday life at the university.
- Use the library (SUB): Your guest student chip card also serves as a library card for the SUB. With your user account, you will have access to reading and learning services for students.
- Participate in additional offers
NEW: Orientation programme
Study orientation and language practice
You would like to still improve your knowledge of German and/or do not have time to attend regular lectures/courses?
Then our new offer Study orientation and language practice, an alternative offer to the guest student programme, is for you.The offer includes:
- Practicing German with students: You can practice German with a buddy - because speaking and understanding is limited in online courses and everyday life with masks.
- Library: Get a guest library card and use the State and University Library (SUB) for reading and learning.
- Additional offers
You can register for the guest student programme or the orientation programme from 1st September to 27th September via the online form.
The following additional offers are available to guest students and participants in the orientation programme:
- Advisory on study options: Individual consultation will support you in planning your university studies.
- Workshops for study preparation: In workshops, you will receive information on finding the right study programme, application and study financing. Additionally, workshops on orientation in the labour market, intercultural competence and IT related topics will be offered.
- Mini newsletter: We will send you relevant offers at the university and inform you about interesting topics in our facebook group.
- Visit to the University campus: Get to know the University campus with other students - online or on site (depends on the current situation).
- Social events: You can meet other students during our regular online "Plauderstunde" (small talk) and during an excursion (depends on the current situation).
- German language course: In addition to lectures and courses, you can attend Intensive Language Courses. The language courses are free of charge for refugees who are preparing for university studies.
Registration and additional information