History (B.A.) (2 subjects / teacher training)
Degree: Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)
Standard period of study: 6 semesters
Start of programme: winter semester only
Language of the programme: German
- 1st subject semester: limited admission (application to the University)
- 2nd to 6th subject semester: limited admission (application to the University)
- International applicants (non-EU): limited admission (application to International Student Services)
The goal of this programme is education in the following areas:
1. Investigation of historical and political events and backgrounds on the basis of the respective tradition
(study of sources).
2. Knowledge of the central aspects of German, European and worldwide history and culture.
3. Analysis and subject-specific as well as didactic communication of historical information (exhibitions, documentaries, technical lectures, documentaries, teaching).
The subject in Göttingen: research focus
The subject History is embedded into a wide research environment in Göttingen. There are close connections with the neighbouring disciplines of Cultural Anthropology, Political Sciences, and Gender Studies, as well as with Economic and Social History, Regional History, and History of the Sciences. Historians in Göttingen are additionally members of other research establishments; this is why Historical Science in Göttingen has an especially broad methodological and topical spectrum.
The subjects Didactics of History, Economic and Social History, Extra-European History, and Eastern European History are integrated into the programme as compulsory elements.
Among the Göttingen research foci are:
- for the Early Middle Ages: the history of Christian hagiography, women and the sexes, topics relating to communication and media.
- for the High and Late Middle Ages: the social history of European societies from a comparative perspective, and the study of intercultural transfer processes and historical relationship systems.
- for the Modern Times: research in the areas of environmental, social and legal history, the history of the administration, the sciences, crime, and religion, and Historical Anthropology.
- for the 20th century and contemporary history: political culture during the interwar years, genesis and development of totalitarian systems; furthermore, the history of the sciences after National Socialism, history of the generations and Gender Studies.
The first year consists of an introductory and a complementary module; the second year consists of four continuation modules each of which includes a lecture and tutorial courses, as well as one project module. A didactics module consisting of two courses must be completed. During the third year, students complete one in-depth module and one theory module, and specialise in certain fields of study. The B.A. thesis is written during the 6th semester.
Combinations of subjects
All subjects taught at schools can be selected in combination.
Language requirements to be fulfilled during the course of study
Knowledge of Latin as well as of one more modern foreign language must be proven by the time of registration for the Master's thesis. It is possible to acquire the necessary knowledge during the course of study.
The degree B.A. History (2 subjects / teacher training) serves as a qualification to work in the communication of history and culture with regard to historical and political areas and topics, e.g. in cultural institutions or in historico-political education. The subsequent programme M.A. History (2 subjects / teacher training) is the qualification required for work at secondary schools as a teacher in the subject History, as well as in the non-school communication of history.